Terminal & Receiving Station and the nearby ATCo Service signs probably refer to Adolph's Trucking who were located at 507-511 West 24th Street approximately 1959 to the early 2000s.
The business began in 1923 as Adolphs Motor Express at 351 8th Avenue, changed to Adolph's Express Co. and then in 1929 became Adolph's Trucking Co. (The New York Times, 9 Feb. 1929, pg. 34, reported, "Corporate Name Change: Adolph's Express, Manhattan, to Adolph's Trucking Co.") There were several locations in and around West 23rd and West 24th Streets and 10th Avenue until they landed at 507-511 W. 24th in 1959.
Founder and proprietor was Adolph Duchini (1901-1984). According to his naturalization petition dated 16 September 1925, Adolph Duchini was born 12 July 1901 in Perugia, Italy, and emigrated to the U. S. on the SS Ancona, sailing from Naples, Italy, 1 October 1913, and arriving at the port of New York 14 October 1913. On his death in 1984 death notices included the following from the New York Times, 1 July 1984, pg. 23, "Duchini - Adolph. On June 28, 1984, husband of Anne, father of David and Concetta. Friends may call at Frank E. Campbell, Madison Avenue and 81 Street, 2-5, 7-9 PM, Saturday and Sunday. Mass of the Resurrection, the Lady Chapel of Saint Patrick's Cathedral, on Monday, July 2, 1984 at 10 AM. In lieu of flowers, contributions in his memory to: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Box E, 1275 York Ave. NY NY 10021" and "Duchini - Adolph. We have suffered a tragic loss, Adolph Duchini, who came to this country as a poor emigrant, established Adolph's Trucking Company, and who built it into a great organization. We who are his devoted and loyal employees, wish to pay tribute to this wonderful man who was a warm, kind employer. Officers and Employees of Adolph's Trucking Co."
On Adolph Duchini's death the business was continued by his son, David Victor Duchini (1922-2007).
< previous || next > street index map signs by date signs by name see what's new