The question about Hulse Bros. & Daniel (click for detail) is who were the Hulse brothers? There are several Daniels, but only one Hulse: John B. Hulse (1870-1941), who first appears in Trow's New York City Directory as "Hulse Bros. Co., umbrellas, 336 Canal St." in 1903. The Daniels go much further back: to 1880 with Marx Daniel (ca.1816-?) in business with his son, Isidor Daniel (1850-?), at 243 E. 55th St. This became M. Daniel & Son, Umbrellas at 147 E. 59th St. soon after, the business being run out of the family home until around 1886. Marx disappears at about the time the business moved downtown (around 1890) and his wife, Henrietta, is listed as partner with their son, Isidor. In the mid-1890s the business name changed to E. Daniel & Co. with the partners being Isidor, his wife Emma, and their son, Joseph Daniel (1875-1974). The name changed again around 1900 when Emma dropped out, and the company became Joseph Daniel & Co. at 11 Lispenard St.
It was this company consisting of Joseph Daniel and his father, Isidor, that merged with Hulse Bros. Co. around 1906 to form Hulse Bros. & Daniel Co. at 253 Church St. John B. Hulse and the two Daniels were still the partners when the company arrived at 16 W. 22nd St. in 1916. A fourth partner was James C. Miniszek (1861-?), Hulse's brother-in-law. The company left 16 W. 22nd St. in 1924, and went out of business around 1930.
John B. Hulse received an extensive obituary in the New York Times, 22 Aug. 1941, p. 15. He was thought to be the last surving employee of the Nicaragua Canal Construction Co., an early attempt to build a canal across Central America. Hulse "was secretary from 1891 to 1893 to the late General George W. Davis, general manager and chief engineer of the proposed Nicaragua Canal." The project was abandoned after the company spent $10,000,000 to $15,000,000 in preliminary work. The Times adds: "Mr. Hulse ... retired in 1925 as head of the Hulse Brothers & Daniel Company, umbrella dealers, of New York. He then was president of the Syndicate Textile Company until his final retirement from business in 1929."
Sanborn Mfg. / ? / Raincoats (click for detail) is squeezed between Hulse Bros & Daniel and the Smart Underwear Co. The founder, Daniel S. Sanborn (1853-191?), was an immigrant from Canada in 1876. He is found in the U. S. Census of 1880, living on Varick St. with his wife, Tina M. Sanborn (b. Canada Jan. 1859, d. Los Angeles 26 Jun. 1942). Sanborn's occupation is given as Dry Goods Store. He is listed in the New York city directories from 1881 to 1918. His business is described as fancy goods, sacks, cloaks, coats and wrappers until around 1910 when it became raincoats. He is recorded in the 1900 U. S. Census as a manufacturer of Ladies Wrappers. By then the Sanborns had two children, including Harold McClellan Sanborn (1883-1943). Harold McClellan Sanborn joined his father as a partner at Sanborn Mfg. Co. by around 1910. The company was located at 151 W. 25th St. from 1910 to 1915, then moved to 16 W. 22nd St., where they were in business until 1921. By the time of the 1930 U. S. Census Harold McClellan Sanborn had moved to Lakeland, Polk county, Florida, where he gave his occupation as "Salesman Electric R" (railroad?).
An early partner of Daniel Sanborn was Garrett F. Rose (1850-1926). They were in the garment manufacture business together from 1888 until the late 1890s. Garrett Rose was born 7 Jan. 1850 in New Paltz, NY, to John S. Rose and Elmira Freer Rose. The middle initial F in his name probably stands for Freer. He appears in the U. S. Census of 1920, age 70, living with his wife, Emma, at the Home for Old Men & Aged Couples (Episcopal Home) at the northwest corner of 112th St. and Amsterdam Ave. A photograph of the home appears in New York 1900 by Robert A. M. Stern et. al. (1983), showing its relationship to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine across the avenue.
The Smart Underwear Co. (click for detail) began as L. Goldstein & Son in 1903 at 39 Bond St. The partners were Louis Goldstein (1855-192?) and his son, Bernard Goldstein (1880-?). Louis Goldstein immigrated from Russia in 1875, and the family appears in the US Census of 1900, living at 65 Second Ave. Nellie, his wife, had immigrated the same year. By 1900 they had been married 24 years and had had 10 children, of whom 7 were still living. Among the living sons were Michael Goldstein (1890-?) and Charles Goldstein (1895-1986), both of whom joined with Louis and Bernard Goldstein to form the company called Smart Underwear Co. that manufactured ladies underwear at 16 W. 22nd St. The Smart Underwear company name first appears in 1909 when they were located at 133 Greene St. They moved to 16 W. 22nd St. in 1916, and Michael and Charles became partners around 1920. They did business as both Smart Underwear Co. and L. Goldstein & Sons at this address until 1924. Like so many others, Smart Underwear disappeared in 1929/30 (Great Depression). In the US Census of 1930 Nellie Goldstein, now a widow, was living on W. 101st St. with her son, Michael, whose occupation is now "Collector, Real Estate." This ad for Smart Underwear appeared in The Corset and Underwear Review, Nov. 1921.
George Mandel / Braids (click for detail) was located here from 1916-1918. The founder was George Mandel (born Berlin 1858, immigrated 1865). George Mandel appears in the U. S. Census of 1900 living on East 11th St. near 2nd Ave. Two sons, Henry, age 10, and Walter, age 8, appear among his children. Henry Mandel (1889-1969) and Walter Mandel (1891-?) would succeed their father in the business 20-some years later. The braids / trimmings business began around 1890 on Spring St. From 1902 to 1915 the business was located at 109 Spring St., a building which currently (Feb. 2007) carries a sign for Joseph Contessa's J. C. Yarn Co. Henry and Walter Mandel took over their father's braids company around 1920. In 1925 they relocated to 490 6th Ave. (this building is now number 844) near 29th St. In the late 1920s the name changed to Mandel Jarett Co. Inc. when a new partner joined the firm. This was William Jarett (1889-1967). Jarett was born William Jaretzky in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. He was the son of Louis and Theresa Jaretzky, immigrants from Germany. Louis Jaretzky worked as a cigar maker. William Jarett started in the "laces" and "braids" business in New York around 1911. From 1912 to 1917 the business was called Jarett-Lalor Co., his partner being William Baily Lalor (1873-?). Lalor seems to have been a traveling salesman for the company with no permanent address in New York. He appears in the 1920 U. S. Census, living in Baltimore, Md., and gives his occupation as "President, Millinery Co."
In the 1930s Mandel and Jarett separated, splitting into George Mandel Sons and William Jarett Co. Mandel Sons lasted only to 1939. William Jarett lasted much longer: Wm. Jarett & Co. was located at 1261 Broadway (near 31st St.) from 1933 until Jarett's death in Dec. 1967.
Hofmann & Ellrodt (click for detail) were Florenz F. Hofmann (1838-191?) and Christian Ellrodt (1829-?) whose "trimmings" business at 91 Mercer St. in 1890 moved to 109 Spring St. around 1900. Both men were immigrants from Germany and both appear in the US Census of 1900, Ellrodt living in Brooklyn and Hofmann on E. 65th St. Christian Ellrodt immigrated to the US in 1852 and served 2 enlistments in the Union army in the Civil War (July 1861 to Sept. 1862, and again from Aug. 1864 to July 1865). The business arrived at 16 W. 22nd St. in 1916. By this time the original partners had disappeared. The last listing connecting Ellrodt with the business is in 1909. He appears in the US Census of 1910, a widower, age 82, still living in Brooklyn, but giving occupation as "none." Hofmann died before 1920: his widow Emma appears in the US Census of 1920, still living with son, Emil, at the family homestead on E. 65th St. The next generation of Hofmanns now assumed control of the business, in the persons of Bernard H. Hofmann (ca.1861-?), Florenz L. B. Hofmann (1869-?), and Emil H. Hofmann (1872-?). Florenz and Emil were the sons of the original Florenz F. Hofmann. Bernard was possibly a nephew.
Emil H. Hofmann was also president of Hofmann Mfg. Co., 9-11 Maiden Lane (approx. 1910-1920), which dealt in novelties and surgical instruments.
The company's entry in New York's Great Industries, 1884, begins: "Hofmann & Ellrodt, Manufacturers of Cloak and Millinery Trimmings, No. 91 Mercer Street. - Messrs. Hofmann and Ellrodt succeeded the old firm of F. Hofmann, which became established in New York as far back as twenty years ago. This eminent house are manufacturers of cloak and millinery trimmings, braids, cords and tassels of every description."
This ad for Hofmann & Ellrodt appeared in the American Wool and Cotton Reporter, March 1919.
Hofmann & Ellrodt left 16 W. 22nd St. in 1919, moving downtown to 39 E. 12th St. In the late 1920s the company name changed to Hofmann & Leavy. Leavy was Edward Theodore Leavy (1894-1979), born Manchester, England, immigrated 1895, naturalized 1918. Leavy was a salesman for Hofmann & Ellrodt when he registered for the World War I draft in 1917. He appears in the 1920 US Census, living in Brooklyn with his wife Esther and daughter Doris, and giving his occupation as Traveling Salesman. In 1930 occupation is given as "Manufacturer Trimmings." As Hofmann & Leavy the business continued at 39 E. 12th St. and then 826 Broadway (at the corner of 12th St.) until 1988. An ad from 1971 (click for image) at this address boasts that the company was in its 102nd year!
In August 2007 Hofmann & Leavy were located in Deerfield Beach, Florida. Visit their website at tasseldepot.com. The company is now 134 years old!
< previous || next > index map signs by date signs by name see what's new