This extremely modest and simple sign marks the location of the Lack Carpet Co., Harry C. Lack (1889-1942), pres. Founded around 1920, the Lack Carpet Co. was a wholesale outlet for floor coverings of all types, located here near the Empire State Building from 1928 to 1933/34.
In 1930 Lack was given sole distribution rights for Bigelow-Sanford carpet products in New York City. For Bigelow-Sanford see their history a block downtown on 31st St.
The Lack Carpet Co. continued in business with locations on 5th Ave. and 3d Ave. and in Brooklyn until the mid-1980s.
The building on the far right in this photograph with the ornate doorway is the Hotel Aberdeen.
< previous || next > index map signs by date signs by name