M. Henry Lambert established his men's furnishings business at 254 5th Ave. in 1920. Earlier he had a clothing outlet at 183 Broadway (from 1908 to 1920). He was in business on 5th Ave. for about 20 years (until around 1940).
An image in the New York Public Library's Digial Collections dated 1928-30 shows part of an earlier version of this sign. The NYPL photo was taken by the photographer John Stroble Fass (b. 1890).
These signs appear on the back sides of two buildings on 5th Ave. It's not clear whether the "Shirts Underwear Etc" has any connection with the Lambert store next door...
< previous || next > index map signs by date signs by name see what's new