The symbol in the middle contains the words "Serator and Gainsboro."
Meyer Goldberg (1851-?) was born in Russia/Poland April 1851 and immigrated to the U. S. in 1870. He is found in the U. S. Census of 1880 living at 63 Norfolk St. downtown on the East Side in Manhattan. With him are his wife, Mary, and four children, ages 7 to 1. His occupation is described as "Ladies Furnishing Goods." Twenty years later in the 1900 Census the family size has increased considerably. His wife, Mary, now 45 years old, has been married 28 years and has had 14 children (of whom 12 are living), ages 27 to 3. All 12 children are still living in the family home (now 157 E. 74th St.). Meyer Goldberg's occupation is now "Manufacturing, Shirt Waists." The earlier Meyer Goldberg appeared in business listings from 1878 to 1885 as dry goods, tailor, shirts or fancy goods. In 1887 the location changed to 97 Canal St., and the business was described as "clothing, merchant tailor & manufacturer of shirts & ladies wear." In 1897 the business name changed to M. Goldberg & Son when he was joined by his eldest son, Abraham Goldberg (1873-?). The name changed again in 1906 to Sons (plural) when Abraham was joined by his brothers, Moses Coleman Goldberg (1876-194?), William Goldberg (1878-?), and Lawrence Goldberg (1881-?). These four were primary among Meyer Goldberg's 11 sons, but all were engaged in garment manufacture, some with their father, some with companies of their own.
Meyer Goldberg & Sons were located here at 134 W. 26th St. from 1912 to 1920. Some of the other Goldberg enterprises were located at this same address, including A. Goldberg & Bros., Children's Dresses, G & F Skirt Co., Gainsboro Waist Co., Gem Petticoat Co., and Militant Middy Co.. An ad in The Wanamaker Diary, 1916, contains a list of most of these same companies.
This ad for Meyer Goldberg & Sons appeared in The American Cloak & Suit Review, 1914. The same publication contained an ad for the Gainsboro Waist Co.
In the early 1920s all of the Goldbergs and their various businesses disappear from sight, with the exception of Moses C. Goldberg and William Goldberg. Moses Goldberg, with his wife, Lena, continued in business as the Protext Silk Mills until the mid-1920s. In 1942 Moses registered for the World War II draft when employed by the Samuel Ehrman Co. William Goldberg retained his own business until at least the early 1940s.
Higher on this wall:
Julius D / Booth / & Son / Skirts (click for image). Julius D. Booth (1861-1915) was the founder, and his son was Abraham Elihu Booth (1885-1952). They manufactured skirts at this location from 1911 to 1919. Julius Booth was an immigrant from Russia. Abram E. Booth's passport application in 1924 says that his father was born in Kovna, Russia (aka Kaunas, Lithuania) and that he immigrated in 1881. J. D. Booth, Dress Skirts was located at 65 East Broadway in 1905, and this company became Julius D. Booth & Son by 1910. After Julius Booth's death the company was also known as A. E. Booth & Co., and they stayed in business until 1931. In 1942 Abraham Booth registered for the World War II draft when employed by American Woolen Co., 225 4th Ave. American Woolen Co. has left us two architectural signs on the American Woolen Bldg. at 4th Ave. & 19th St. On Abraham Booth's death in 1952 this short notice appeared in the New York Times.
Myer / Gans / Sons & Co (click for image). Myer Gans (1838-?) was born in Hesse, Germany, immigrated 1858 and became a U. S. citizen in 1869. He appears in the U. S. Census of 1880 living on East 69th St. between 1st and 2nd Aves. with his wife, Carrie (born Wurtemburg), and five children, among whom are Lawrence, 10, and Albert, 3. Lawrence Gans (1870-1943) and Albert Gans (1877-?) were to become the "Sons" in Myer Gans Sons & Co., coats and suits manufacturers at 134 W. 26th St. from 1911 to 1916. In Feb. 1915 this ad appeared in the New York Times, proclaiming We Fit the Fat and Odd Sizes Our Specialty. Myer Gans is initially found in directories as a dry goods business at 197 Spring St. in 1867. He was located at 49 Walker St. as a clothing manufacturer from 1880 to 1890, then at 151 Spring St. from 1891 to 1906. The business became Myer Gans Sons & Co. in 1898. In Feb. 1927 the New York Times announced the dissolution of Myer Gans Sons & Co., Manhattan. In the 1930 U. S. Census Albert Gans appears as an insurance agent, and his brother, Lawrence Gans, as a real estate salesman.
This ad for the Meyer Gans, Sons & Co. appeared in The American Cloak & Suit Review, Aug. 1914. The ad says, "Established 1872."
< previous || next > index map signs by date signs by name see what's new